As soon as summer is over and the grey, fogy autumn begins, we are all looking forward to the pre-christmas season ahead. When all the buildings are illuminated in a gorgeous way, the streets are decorated and you can smell “Glühwein” and roasted almonds in the whole city; when it’s bitterly cold outside and (hopefully) there is a thin snow cover on the streets of Vienna, then it is the best time of the year here. That’s why we want to give you some tips how you can spend the most beautiful time here in pre-christmas season.
The most beautiful christmas markets in Vienna
- At “Winter im Museumsquartier” you can either try the delicious culinary offers in the so called “Eispavillons”, which are designed from the austrian artist Gerry Ammann, you can admire the fancy light installations or enjoy the pre-christmas season with live-concerts or DJ-“winter-sounds”. This artsy christmas market is a little different than others, but so worth seeing. (03.11.-23.12.2017, Mo to Fr 4 – 11pm, Sa&Su 2 – 11pm)
- The most beautiful scenery for a christmas market you will find at the “Kultur- und Weihnachtsmarkt” in front of the castle Schönbrunn. Here you can stroll around the nicely decorated booths with traditional handcraft and hand-made christmas decoration, be enchanted from one of the classical concerts here or just gourmandize through all of the offered goodies. What ever you will do, at this christmas market you get an extra portion of romance on top 🙂 (18.11.-26.12.2017, daily opened: 10am-9pm)
- The “Wiener Weihnachtstraum am Christkindlmarkt” is the biggest christmas market directly at the town hall square, but that doesn’t mean that this one has less charm or atmosphere than the others. With its ca. 150 booths, the big grandiose decorated trees in the town hall park, two big frozen surfaces and the promising children-world, the christmas market offers something for everyone and blazes in a festive brightness at the same time. (18.11. – 30.12.2017, daily opened: 10am-10pm)
- A really special one is the christmas exhibition and market in the flowergardens Hirschstetten. You can either walk through the greenhouses and gaze at impressive winter-wonder-land in the warmth or you can go outside and buy some hand-made christmas tree decorations while drinking “Glühwein” and eating delicious christmas cookies. Even for the kids, there is a little program of tinkering in the Palmenhaus or baking biscuits in the bakehouse.(16.11.-17.12.2017, Thu-Su: 10am-8pm)
- The christmas market on the “Spittelberg” invites everyone who loves to stroll around the cute, little alleyways in Vienna while trying every different “Glühwein” on the way, looking at arts and crafts and aspirates the pre-christmas season in Vienna. (16.11.-23.12.2017, Mo-Thu 2-9pm, Fr 2-9.30pm, Sa 10am-9.30pm, Su 10am-9pm in the following alleys: Spittelberggasse, Stiftgasse, Schrankgasse, Gutenberggasse)
- The arts and crafts market “Art Advent” at Karlsplatz attracts with a versatile, bio-certified gastronomy offer, an exhibition workshop, where different artists show their handicraft and a huge program for kids with story time, tinkering and looking at Lamas. (18.11.-23.12.2017, daily opened: 12-8pm)
Musical advent in Vienna
- For those who want to prepare themselves for christmas time with music, you can’t miss the choirs from all ov er the world at the international “Adventsingen” in the town hall of Vienna. On all of the four advent weekends the singers of 80 choirs give their best to get you in the right christmas spirit. And the best thing about it: the entrance is free 🙂 (Fr, Sa, Su 3.30 – 7pm)
- There are several christmas concerts in different churches in Vienna as well, where acoustics and the magic of a christmassy decorated church will take your breath away. Ranging from the chamber orchestra of Vienna in the “Stephansdom”, to the energetic gospel shows in the “Karlskirche” to the trumpet concerts in the baroque “Annakirche”, when you get to listen to those professionals your heart will beat faster and the christmas mood will be right there.
- Those who rather want to visit the concert hall of Vienna, won’t be disappointed here: whether at Bachs christmas oratorio from the baroque orchestra from Freiburg, at Swinging Christmas played by a Big Band with songs from Frank Sinatra or at the big glamurous Gala “Christmas in Vienna” with outstanding opera stars, the diversity in Vienna’s concert hall will inspire you as well.
- If you are a fan of Musicals, you need to go to the “Museumsquartier” from 8.-11. of December to see the successful Musical Scrooge inspired by Charles Dickens’ christmas story. The Musical Sister-Act in the Votivkirche and the gala concert “Musical Christmas” in the Ronacher will make your heart beats faster as well and get you in christmas mood right away.
Although this is only a really small excerpt of the huge offer of pre-christmas events in Vienna, we hope we could help you a little bit with the selection and are looking forward to the contemplative times and a lot of “Glühwein” 🙂