Schönbrunn Palace – at home with Sisi & Franzl
Schönbrunn Palace is one of Austria's most important cultural heritage sites, and is definitely one of Vienna's biggest attractions. Even before Romy Schneider starred in the film adaptation of Empress Sisi's life, the palace had long been a tourist magnet. Today, Schönbrunn Palace draws millions of visitors to Vienna.
Relaxing in royal footsteps
The monarchy was barely over when the people of Vienna discovered the recreational opportunities offered by the palace's impressive park. Today, tourists, joggers, and locals going for a stroll all share the park. After taking over the park, the citizens of Vienna seized the opportunity of visiting the palace itself – a tour that approx. 1.5 million Austrian and international visitors now enjoy each year.
Add that number to the 5.2 million visitors to the park and you get a total of 6.7 million visitors each year. But don't worry, the park is big enough for you to find a quiet spot. And with its 1,441 rooms, the palace isn't exactly small, either. 45 of these rooms are accessible to the public.
In December 1996, Schönbrunn Palace was added to the list of UNESCO World Heritage sites, a list founded in 1972, during the 20th meeting of the World Heritage Committee. Sounds important. Well, it is! This honor confirms the worldwide importance of this unique palace and its adjoining gardens as baroque masterpieces.
Tickets, Tours & Opening Hours
You want to explore the historic palace and former home of Emperor Franz Joseph I and Empress Elisabeth of Austria-Hungary for yourself? Find out everything about the tour range, tickets and opening hours here.
At Schönbrunn Palace, 14 different tours await you, taking you to the various areas of Schönbrunn Palace. From the historically significant and magnificent rooms to the winding maze and Schönbrunn Zoo - Schönbrunn Palace awaits you and your family with numerous attractions.
Find out more about the different tours here:
- Imperial Tour: Small tour of Schönbrunn Palace.
- Grand Tour: Grand Tour of Schönbrunn Palace.
- Sisi Ticket: Tour of Schönbrunn Palace, the Sisi Museum and the Imperial Silver Collection of the Vienna Hofburg.
- Classic Pass: Tour of Schönbrunn Palace, the Crown Prince Garden, the Gloriette, the Orangery Garden and the Maze.
- Classic Pass Plus: Tour through Schönbrunn Palace, the Crown Prince Garden, to the Gloriette, through the Crown Prince Garden, through the Orangery Garden, through the Maze and into the Desert and Palm House.
- Family Pass: Tour of Schönbrunn Palace, the Children's Museum and Hof Palace in Marchfeld.
- Wild Herb Walk in Schönbrunn Palace Park: Tour of the wild herbs in Schönbrunn Palace Park.
- Gloriette: Tour to the Gloriette.
- Irrgarten: Tour through the maze.
- Privy Garden: Tour through the Privy Garden.
- Orangery Garden: Tour through the Orangery Garden.
- Children's Museum Schönbrunn Palace: Tour of the Children's Museum.
- Combiticket Children's Museum [& Maze: Tour of the Children's Museum and the Maze.
- Combiticket Children's Museum & Maze & Zoo: Tour through the Children's Museum, the Maze and the Schönbrunn Zoo (Zoo).
Find out even more here about the different tours and purchase your tickets conveniently online.
Schönbrunn Palace is open daily, 365 days a year.
- January: 9:30 to 17:00
- February: 9:30 to 17:00
- March: 9:30 to 17:00
- April: 9:00 to 17:00
- May: 9:00 to 17:00
- June: 9:00 to 17:00
- July: 9:00 to 17:30
- August: 9:00 to 17:30
- September: 9:00 to 17:00
- October: 9:00 to 17:00
- November: 9:00 to 17:00
- December: 9:00 to 17:00
Schönbrunn Palace Park:
The castle park is open daily, 365 days a year.
- January: 6:30 to 17:30
- February: 6:30 to 17:30
- March: 6:30 to 19:00
- April: 6:30 to 20:00
- May: 6:30 to 21:00
- June: 6:30 to 21:00
- July: 6:30 to 21:00
- August: 6:30 to 20:00
- September: 6:30 to 20:00
- October: 6:30 to 19:00
- November: 6:30 to 17:30
- December: 6:30 to 17:30
Privy Garden, Orangery Garden, Maze & Gloriette View Terrace:
The Privy Garden, the Orangery Garden, the Maze and the Gloriette View Terrace are open daily from April to November.
- April: 9:30 bis 17:00 Uhr
- May: 9:30 bis 17:00 Uhr
- June: 9:30 bis 17:00 Uhr
- July: 9:30 bis 18:00 Uhr
- August: 9:30 bis 18:00 Uhr
- September: 9:30 bis 17:00 Uhr
- October: 9:30 bis 17:00 Uhr
- November: 9:30 bis 16:00 Uhr
You can find out more about the opening hours here.
Unique flair at Schönbrunn Christmas Market
In winter, Schönbrunn Palace beckons with a very special magic. Every year, the Schönbrunn Palace Culture and Christmas Market lights up the winter evenings and offers a unique Christmas experience among the many different decorated huts.
Browse through traditional arts and crafts, woodcarvings, toys, Christmas decorations and, of course, a wide variety of treats, food and drinks. Look forward to mulled wine, punch, Kaiserschmarren and roasted almonds, and enjoy unique evenings with friends or family at Schönbrunn Christmas Market.