150 years Ringstraße
The Emperor Franz Joseph inaugurated the Ringstraße exactly on the 1.May 1865.
150 years is reason enough for the city of Vienna to celebrate this famous boulevard with numerous events and exhibitions next year. And reason enough for us to investigate some more information about this unique street.
The emperor ordered various buildings to be built along this road including the Staatsoper, the Burgtheater, the Rathaus and many more sights that still today are among the most famous buildings of Vienna. The street is 5,3 kilometers long and about 57 meters broad and has been one of the most important streets for the upper class back in the days.
Today the Ringstrasse is used for numerous events such as the Vienna City Marathon or the Regenbogenparade. But especially next year the city of Vienna will organize unique events because of the 150th birthday of the street.
Here is a selection of the events until next summer:
- Various balls in the Rathaus, the Hofburg, Musikverein, Konzerthaus
- 20. Wiener Eistraum (22.1.-8.3.)
- Wiener Opernball (12.2.)
- Argus Bike Festival on the Rathausplatz (11.-12.4.)
- Vienna City Marathon (12.4.)
- Life Ball at the Rathaus including opening ceremony (16.5.)
- Vienna Pride & 20. Regenbogenparade (16.-21.6.)
- 25. Jazz Fest Wien (29.6.-8.7.)
We are really looking forward to next year and all the visitors in our hotel!